Let’s face it.  Some of the healthiest foods on the planet can cause some serious bloat.  I’m looking at you, broccoli.  Sorry lentils, I love you, but you aren’t doing my stomach any favors.
Now, I would never cut those healthy foods out of my diet just because they cause me to get bloated.  I just am careful not to eat them before I’m going out on a date night with my hubby.  Or any time I want to wear something that isn’t loose.
The good news is, just as there are foods that can cause bloating, there are also some foods that can fight the bloat.  I stuffed a whole bunch of anti-bloating foods into a smoothie.  Why?  For those times when you need something to eat, but really don’t want a bloated stomach.
Saturday night Tim and I had a date night planned.  Our dinner reservations were for 8 o-clock, which is a super late dinner for us.  I knew my noon lunch wouldn’t be enough to sustain me until dinner time, so I made this Anti-Bloat Smoothie.  It was filling enough to tide me over until dinner, and kept my stomach from getting the food baby look.

                                               The Anti Bloat Smoothie

Let’s take a look at what’s inside this smoothie and why it won’t cause you to bloat.
Cucumbers:  They are loaded with water, which helps fight bloating.
Banana:  Bananas are high in potassium.  Potassium helps regulate sodium levels, which prevents water retention.  Too much sodium is a big cause of bloating, so that’s why bananas (and other foods high in potassium) help with bloating.


Coconut Water:  Like bananas, coconut water is high in potassium.
Ginger:  Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory food as well as a digestive aid.  It soothes the digestive system and relaxes the muscles of the digestive tract, which keeps you from getting bloated.  You know I love my ginger.  Take a look at that huge hunk of fresh ginger in the picture below.  I eat one of those per week.
Apple Cider Vinegar:  I list this one as optional in the smoothie recipe because the smoothie absolutely tastes better without it.  Apple cider vinegar, however, is a rock star for reducing gas and bloating.  So if you are super serious about reducing your bloat, add this to your smoothie.
The taste of this anti-bloating smoothie is fresh.  I love the cucumber and ginger together, and the banana sweetens it up just enough.  The coconut water flavor is subtle, not overpowering.  I really don’t love coconut water on its own, but do love it in my smoothies.  It’s filled with electrolytes, so it’s a great naturally hydrating beverage choice.  If you choose to add the apple cider vinegar it muddles the flavor a bit, but is still good.
May your days be bloat-free, friends!
The Anti-Bloat Smoothie
Makes 1 large or 2 small smoothies
1/2 cup coconut water
1 banana
1 large cucumber, sliced
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
handful of ice
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until super smooth.  Enjoy!
Hardcore Version:  Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to the mix.

Post Tags:

No Comment to " The Anti Bloat Smoothie "